Sunday, April 27, 2014

WTF Moment #1: Getting a girl

There will always be moments where you can't help but go "what the f***?!" Life is spontaneous that way. Sometimes it likes to throw curve balls at you just to see how you can deal with the situation. Whether it is a serious moment or just a brief moment of awe, retelling the story is sometimes a good conversation starter. Now just to be fair, my stories may not make you go "wtf" like I did but maybe it will stimulate your memories of your "wtf" moments.

Children are adorable little things. They see the world through innocent eyes. Always expecting the good, never the bad. Sadly those moments are very short. Once they hit middle school, drama will start pouring in and it's easy to tell that they aren't as innocent as before.

I was hanging out with my cousins during a family barbecue. If you have previously hung out with children that are at least 8 years younger than you, then you would know that at some point, they will always ask for advice in literally anything. I always saw my cousins as children or at least I don't believe they are capable of thinking as adults until high school (of course, that is a matter of opinion and I can be awfully wrong). So the youngest of the two was already in middle school and in the middle of our conversation, he stated he liked a girl. Of course I was happy. Someone I care about is crushing on someone else (so adorable!). I didn't want to butt into his business too much so I asked very general questions about the crush. "Did you meet her in class?" "Are you friends?" "How long have you had these feelings? ;)" After asking a few questions, I decided to let the topic go. I don't want to embarrass the boy. I do know that he was expecting something. No person just states he or she likes someone without an objective. He then stated that the girl already has a boyfriend. Oh?! So now I'm just plain curious. He stated he has a crush on this girl and she happened to be already taken. Was he hinting on seeking advice to get over her? Nope. He asked, "how do I get her to like me instead?" Woooooow! You did not read that wrong. He was asking me for advice to get a girl to break up with her current boyfriend and date him instead.

I understand. He likes this girl. He wants her to be his instead. He wants her to love him. I get it... but to find a way to make her break up with her boyfriend? Isn't that thought messed up? What can I say? Of course I told him he should not be thinking about stealing her and instead care for her happiness. Whether she stays or break up with her boyfriend, it is her business. If he truly loves her, he should only care if she's ever happy even if she ends up staying with her boyfriend. Wouldn't it be arrogant to think that he (my cousin) would be the better choice even if she may end up unhappy? No. Love doesn't work that way. It's not always about the material gain or being the best in everything (but those are attention grabbers). It's always about compatibility between personalities and compromises. I was so tempted to just yell at my cousin "No!" but that wouldn't be the appropriate way to teach him. I pray I am never asked this question again.

No comments:

Post a Comment