Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Childhood #6: Tutoring

Wow! Time flies fast when one is seriously busy. Sorry for the lack of entries. I was more focused on financial issues but hopefully it will work out now.

So tutoring is not exactly a pleasant topic for me. I don't know if it is a common feeling among Asians but many times when I hear that I need tutoring, I feel like a failure as if I wasn't good enough. I was pathetic and stupid. Now I'm not saying people who take tutoring are stupid. I was a bit stubborn and would like it if I was already good enough for many things. I was a teen who was tired of homework and tests. When I heard I needed to take prep courses, I just felt that I am not good enough for my parents' standards. The concept of my parents' wanting to insure I get into college never occurred to me. All I thought about was how I wasn't smart as I thought I was.

The prep courses I took was for the SAT. It wasn't exactly a pleasant place. The tutors were nice and considerate. They knew the students wanted to get through the session as quick as possible and then leave immediately. They tried to keep us entertained and took the time to explain the lesson thoroughly. Sadly, that was the only positive thing I found in my prep courses. Besides the tutors, the counselors were really strict. Every time I meet them, it felt as though they were demanding me to improve (which doesn't really help with that attitude). Also the tutoring site consist of two classrooms - one with no windows, the other had its windows covered with some sort of black coating. If I had claustrophobia, I wouldn't have survived. Fortunately I didn't but I still felt uncomfortable with the sealed windows and small spacing. So the curriculum consist of sample tests and reviewing wrong answers. Every sample test scores were recorded and tracked by the counselors. It was a horrible weekly session.

What I got out of it? Well, I improved my score by 400 points which is not too bad. Sadly I never hit 2000 points. Oh well...

So I thought of tutoring because I currently am working as a tutor. Thinking back about my personal tutoring experience,  I don't want to be a cold tutor towards my students. To be a bit strict is fine but to be cold is not too good with progress. I am hoping I can follow what my whole family said before: "A good teacher is a person the student fears on academics but he is also the first person the student will request any kind of help from." 

No comments:

Post a Comment