Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Finding Your Past in Your Present

It is redundant. I said it before and I will say it again. Always remember where you came from. It makes us who we are. Well, instead of remembering, I decided to revisit where I came from.

So cloudy!

This is the city where I was raised. Honestly, I didn't go back because I want to relive my memories. I went back [against my will] to visit my relatives. Being a college graduate, my parents thought it would be nice to visit them in case I get a job that doesn't allow much vacation days. Plus I'm growing old and my grandparents are growing old. Better to visit them before it's too late (knock on wood).

The trip was quite interesting. Almost everyday, I was visiting a relative or a family friend. If I'm free, my parents would be forcing me to go shopping, thinking I need to renew my wardrobe. It was really busy. Besides having lots of family reunions, I got to revisit many places from my childhood, from shopping malls to restaurants. However, there is something I didn't expect from my trip. I experienced culture shock... from the city where I grew up! It was very stressful when I experienced culture shock from moving to the United States. Now experiencing it again but from where I came from, I realized how much I grew and adapted to the western culture. Everything is new again. I found out my tiny primary school has moved to a bigger building. My old apartment has finished renovation. There's now a Disneyland there too!... but I didn't get to go there. Taxi drivers are aggressive and MTRs can get seriously packed. I'm learning many new things again.

Many relatives and family friends asked me the same question: "If necessary, will you be able to live here again?" I automatically answered yes. I believe I can adapt to living there again. Sadly, I don't know if I want to. If I live there, I have to give up my coffee and milk tea addiction since coffee and milk tea taste a lot stronger. I also have to give up driving due to horrific traffic. Although I know I can deal with the hustle of a busy city life, I don't think I want to return there for a living... Maybe for vacations only. 

No comments:

Post a Comment