Thursday, February 14, 2013

Holiday #3: Luck for your Valentine

I'll be honest. I have no clue what is a good gift for Valentine's Day. Having no experience with relationships, I never celebrated the holiday. With the American's view on the holiday, it's a pretty useless holiday since a couple should always be celebrating their love every once in a while. However, I do love the Japanese's view on the holiday. It's a time when girls make gifts (mostly chocolate) for the guys to confess their love. After Valentine's Day, there is also another holiday (I believe it's called White Day) where that love can be reciprocated. Now, I'm not sure if this occurs in any other parts of Asia but this is how it works in Japan. It seems very sweet.

Anyways, good gifts are hard to find since anyone can just buy a box of chocolate or a bouquet of flowers. I'm not really into that stuff. If one really wants to show his or her love, I think the best way to present that is through a hand made gift. One of my favorite gifts were 3D paper stars. Just to clarify, I didn't made these for the holiday. It was a birthday present for a friend to give good luck (being college, we need all the luck we can get). However, when I checked the history behind this cute gift, I found out it was a gift meant to be given between couples. It started from an Asian drama TV series (I don't know the specific show) and it was made popular because the girl made many stars to confess her love to a guy. Did she ever get the guy? I don't know. Sorry, but you will have to find that out by yourself. After the series, this trend became really popular. It was said that the number of stars you make represent how much love you have for that person. When I checked out the numbers,... let's just say you really need to love that person to make such crazy numbers of stars. Either way, if it's a for a friend or a lover, this neat little gift is a sweet way to represent your caring for that person. It represent luck (or love) and the time and effort you put in shows how much you care. So if anyone wants a cheap but sweet gift, this is my recommendation. It cost about $3 for the jar depending on the size. As for the stars, I spent about $7 for material which makes over 170 stars (the jar holds 170 and I had a lot extra stars). A very sweet, cute, cheap gift!

Happy Valentine's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment