Monday, January 13, 2014

Childhood #5: teaching younger relatives

I don't know if you know [assumed] this. I am the oldest grandchild on one side of my family. As expected, if one is the oldest "child," the adults expected one to be the role model for the younger ones. In some cases, they even expect the oldest child to teach the younger ones. However, let's be realistic. Unless the oldest grandchild is at least 10 years older than the younger one or miraculously gifted in teaching, how does one expects that child to know how to teach? The answer: we shouldn't expect that grandchild knows how to teach (at least not properly the first time). Like any skills, teaching requires experience, whether be it through trial and error, or actual teaching courses.

Well, many years ago, my sis and I moved to the US (as you know). Our family had to live with my relatives because our newly-bought home was still in the making. So when you have two grandchildren (my sis and I) living with two younger grandchildren (my younger cousins), we were expected to teach them or at least be role models (and pray they follow). In one family dinner event, the whole family decided to eat at a restaurant and at the entrance was a small fish tank. There was a clear sign on the glass stating "don't tap the glass." One of my cousins keeps tapping the glass. As the oldest, I instructed him to stop the tapping. However, I was only 13 years old (I think?) and my cousin was 3-4 years old. He obviously won't listen to me since I am not an adult no matter how serious my tone was. So my sister, being 11 years old (assuming I was 13), she told the most ridiculous white lie I have ever heard. She told my cousin, "if you keep tapping the glass, the glass will break and the fishes will come out and eat you." That really scared the little boy. He immediately stopped and through the dinner, he occasionally glanced back at the fish tank. I asked my sis if that was okay to lie to a child like that. Obviously it was a ridiculous lie since the fishes in the tank were 2-in gold fishes. As of today, I wonder if my cousin still remembers that lie.

This memory didn't really hit me until my sis told me about her friend's lie to his younger brother about child birth. Now, his story really scares me. My sis's friend wanted to teach his young brother about the birds and the bees, and prevent him from causing teen pregnancy. His story was that when a woman is pregnant, obviously her belly will be enlarged. When it is time for labor, the baby will burst out of the woman's belly. I actually skipped a lot of details. To summarize the details, let's just say the story sounded like it came from a horror alien movie. I heard this when I was around 18, and even I got scared. I'm pretty sure for a young boy, after hearing that story, he won't be getting any girls pregnant for a good while (or at least until temptation gets the best of him).

As you can see, sometimes people make up the weirdest lies to teach young children lessons. I am a full adult now and I still wonder if that is a good way to teach them. Sadly I don't know the answer but restating these memories is quite amusing. I can't help but giggle at the stories behind those lessons. So think about it. How would you teach a very young child about a certain lesson or prevent them from having certain behaviors?

No comments:

Post a Comment